Be prepared: Looking after your staff and your business
People are going to be off sick from time to time. Most employees feel bad about letting down their colleagues and most employers are reasonably sympathetic about their staff’s welfare.
But absence because of sickness, or another unexpected reason, can put your business in a tricky situation, particularly if you have no policies in place for dealing with it.
- You need to know why staff are off, when they will come back and how you will deal with:
- short-term sickness absence which lasts less than a week
- repeated short-term sickness absences which may follow a pattern
- long-term sickness absence lasting several weeks or more
- unauthorised absence for other reasons.
- Sickness absence can be caused by a mixture of:
- an employee’s general physical condition
- working conditions including health and safety standards, levels of stress, and harassment and bullying
- family or emotional problems, or mental health issues other than stress
- Managers and employees often appreciate clarity and honesty about how such personal issues will be managed.
- There are some legal issues to take into account, but making sure your staff are well, happy and working effectively is largely a matter of doing the right thing and using common sense
If you require additional support, please get in touch.